COVID-19 Testing Laboratory
Under the leadership of Hon. Commissioner shri & support of Surat Municipal Institute of Medical Education and Research (SMIMER) higher authorities, The COVID-19 testing facilities is established at the Multidisciplinary Research Unit (MRU) laboratory. At present running under the observation of Dr. Mannu R Jain, HOD Microbiology Department.View More Detail
The Department of Health Research was created as a new Department under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare vide Presidential Notification dated the 17th September, 2007 by an amendment to the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961. The Department has been allocated 9 new functions to promote health research activities, besides the ongoing work relating to the management and administration of ICMR.
Government of India, in June, 2013, vide sanction order at approved the scheme for 'Establishment of Multi -Disciplinary Research Units (MRUs) in the Government Medical Colleges/Research Institutions' during the 12th Plan period as a path- breaking initiative to develop/strength the health research infrastructure in the country to fulfil the newly allocated function of the Department related to the "Promotion, Coordination and Development of Basic, Applied and Clinical Research".
Objective of the scheme:
The objectives of the present scheme are to:
- Encourage and strengthen an environment of research in medical colleges.
- Bridge the gap in the infrastructure which is inhibiting health research in the Medical Colleges by assisting them to establish multidisciplinary research facilities with a view to improving the health research and health services.
- To ensure the geographical spread of health research infrastructure, in order to cover un-served and under-served Medical Colleges and other institutions.
- To improve the overall health status of the population by creating evidence-based application of diagnostic procedures/processes/methods
Major functions of the MRUs
- To undertake research in non-communicable diseases and other need-based research as recommended by the Local Research Committee/Expert Committee of the DHR employing newer tools.
- To promote and encourage quality medical research in the Institution.
- To constitute the local research committees for identifying the research priorities and projects with participation of State health system officials.
Major functions of the MRU - SMIMER
In the fulfilment of this vision, the MRU- SMIMER Surat will aspire to:
- The SMIMER – MRU will also train and disseminate the best clinical practices and offer practical solutions in all rural and urban facilities.
- Provide the premier level of patient associated translational research.
- Work with integrity and passion to accomplish the mission of high quality health research.
- Seek innovative, holistic solutions to nationally important health issues in collaboration.
- MRU-SMIMER will be bound by natural responsibility to study the non-communicable diseases that require answers and that which will aid planning, technology and expertise transfers and provide informational resources, educational and technical assistance that could bridge barriers in implementing a modern, affordable and sustainable model of health care delivery based on sound principles of quality.
Agency for Implementation of the Scheme
The scheme was implemented by the Department of Health Research (DHR) with the technical support of ICMR.
Funding/Financial Assistance for the project
One time financial assistance upto Rs. 5.25 crores will be provided to each Government Medical College/Institution for setting up of modern biological lab/multi-disciplinary research unit. This will include Rs. 5.00 crores towards equipment and Rs.25 lakhs for minor civil works for modifications/renovation in the space to be provided by the State Medical College.
Administrative approval (letter No. R.11011/01/2021-HR dated 29.06.2021) for continuation of central sector scheme of establishing Multidisciplinary research unit (MRUs) under the 15th Finance Commission period for next 5 years (2021-22 to 2025-26) was received by SMIMER on dated 30/06/2021.
Extra-mural/Multi-centric projects approved by ICMR/ DHR/ various esteemed funding agencies and Local Research Advisory Committees (LARC).
SMIMER MRU Extra-mural/Multi-centric Research projects
|Sr No||Title||Principle Investigator||Status/Remarks|
|1||Prevalence of cervical HPV infection among HIV and non HIV women at tertiary care hospital||Dr.Smita Jhaveri, Associate Professor, Pathology Department, SMIMER, Surat||Research project granted on 18th August, 2020 Granting Agency Science for Equity, Empowerment &Development(SEED), Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India, Department of Science & Technology, Project is ongoing|
|2||Effectiveness of Covaxin and Covishield vaccines against severe COVID-19 in India, 2021: Multi-centrichospital-based case control study||Dr. Prakash Patel Assistant Professor, PSM Department, SMIMER, Surat||Research project participation invited by ICMR- National Institute of Epidemiology by Dr.Tarun Bhatnagar Project is completed|
|3||Reinfection with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS CoV-2) among health care workers in India||Dr. Hetal Desai, Nodal officer MRU Professor & Head of the Department, Physiology SMIMER, Surat||Research project participation invited by ICMR Project PI, Dr.Tanu Anand. Project is ongoing since 19th July 2021|
|4||Risk factor of post COVID-19 rhino-orbito-cerebral mucormycosis in India: Case -control study -2021||Dr.Khushnood M Shaikh Associate Professor, Opthalmology Department, SMIMER, Surat||I MUCOR (India – Multicentric Case -control Study On ROCM) JIPMER, Puducherry project is on publication stage|
|5||Costing of Health Care Services in different states of India||States PI Dr. Prakash Patel Assistant Professor, PSM Department, SMIMER, Surat||Ongoing project since June 2018|
|6||Cost Effevtiveness of Pradhan Mantri Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMJP) and its impact on Financial Risk Protection in||State PI Dr. Prakash Patel Assistant Professor, PSM Department, SMIMER, Surat||Fund is received and Staff recruitment process is completed. Project is ongoing since 2022.|
SMIMER MRU Research projects
|Sr No||Title||Principle Investigator||Status/Remarks|
|1||A community based study on prevalence of post-natal maternal depression in Surat district||
PI-Dr Prakash Patel, Assistant Professor, Department of PSM
|2||Study of cardiac markers in post post-mortem samples in sudden death cases.||
PI-Dr M I Sheikh, Professor& Head, Department of FMT
|3||Transcranial Doppler-An Innovative approach in predicting risk of brain stroke in patients of sickle cell disorder||
PI-Dr Ekta Desai, Associate Professor, Department of Radiodiagnosis
|4||Investigation into the shelf of Fresh frozen plasma components following thawing||PI- Dr Paras Ghanshyam Patel, Associate Professor, Department of Pathology||On going|
|5||Diagnostics association of radiologically suspicious solid breast lesions with histopathological tests: A tertiary hospital experience from South Gujarat population.||PI- Dr. Nipa M. Patidar, Assistant professor, Department of Radiodiagnosis||On going|
|6||Morphological, Molecular & immunohistochemical evidence of HPV in oral & oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.||PI-Dr Sudha Jain, Department of Pathology & Dr Ashish Surana, Department of Microbiology.||On going|
|7||The relationship between serum zinc and glucose metabolic disturbances in patients having of acute coronary syndrome (ACS).||
PI- Dr. Naimesh Shah, Assistant Professor, Department of General Medicine
Co PI Avani Kasture, Scientist II MRU
|1||Dr. Hetal Tejas Desai||
Prof. & Head
Dept. of Physiology
|Nodal Officer, MRU|
|2||Dr. Ashvin Vachhani||Prof. & Head Dept. of Obstetrics & Gynaecology||Co-Nodal Officer, MRU|
|3||Dr. Ekta Desai||Associate Prof. Dept. of Radio Diagnosis||Co-Nodal Officer, MRU|
|4||Dr. Ashish Surana||Associate Professor Microbiology||Assistant Nodal Officer, MRU|
|5||Dr. Rajendra V Joshi||Lecturer in Biophysics||Assistant Nodal Officer, MRU|
|6||Dr. Silver Panchal||Scientist- I||MRU|
|7||Dr. Avani Kasture||Scientist -II||MRU|
|8||Mrs. Krunalben ankurbhai Dave||Laboratory Technician||MRU|
|9||Ms.Vaishali Vittahalbhai Mathukiya||Laboratory Technician||MRU|
|10||Ms. Sweta D Singh||Laboratory Assistant cum Data Operator||MRU|