Surat city is one of the most important city on the industrial map of the country with many large industries developed over here. The economic base of Surat consists of textile manufacturing, trade, diamond cutting and polishing industries, intricate Zari works, chemical industries and the petrochemical and natural gas based industries at Hazira established by leading industry houses such as ONGC, Reliance, ESSAR, and Shell.
The City accounts for:
- 42% of the world’s total rough diamond cutting and polishing,
- 70% of the nation’s total rough diamond cutting and polishing,
- 40% of the nation’s total diamond exports,
- 40% of the nation’s total man made fabric production,
- 28% of the nation’s total man made fiber production
- 18% of the nation’s total man made fiber export, and
- 12% of the nation’s total fabric production.
The region is one of the leading city-regions in the country that has attracted massive investments of which substantial proportion is under implementation. According to CMIE 2002, the Surat City region has a proposed investment of about Rs. 11,817 Crores. In addition projects worth Rs. 2,022 Crores are under implementation. Hazira and SEZ are major focal points for growth. Given these, the prospects of rapid growth continuing is bright.